Thursday, April 9, 2009

Twitter

Somebody has to explain to me what is so great about Twitter. Perhaps I don't see the use in it because I don't have one of those fancy phones that possesses capabilities to allow me to fly. I've heard those kinds of phones (and the plans that go with them) make Twitter more fun.
But psychologically, why do we feel the need to let everyone (or anyone, for that matter) know what we are doing at every moment of the day? I have to laugh at myself when I catch myself thinking in terms of Facebook statuses (which, to my understanding, is basically what Twitter is). I rarely update my own Facebook status, but I'll think of what I would write if I was going to change it. For example, for whatever reason I get slightly irritated when someone, instead of stopping and holding the door for me, will give it a little extra push as if to say, "Here, let me help you by making sure the door opens really wide and swings back at you even faster." I've thought about that scenario in a Facebook status: "Sarah is irritated by people who...." Embarrassing.

But WHY do we feel compelled to share those things? What is significant about it? Sure, I can understand sharing exciting news with everyone or something along those lines, but why the "I'm getting ready for work" updates? Aren't most of us getting ready for work/school at 7am?

I don't know...I think it would make for an interesting study. For now, I'll just keep the majority of my status updates to myself, thinking in terms of "Sarah is...." without sharing it with the world :)

Watch, I'll be "tweeting" next week.

-S

No comments: