Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A New Year (I know...a little late)

The way I think is like a rock tumbler. Things get thrown in my brain, they get rattled around, banged up, and beat each other to a pulp, and eventually something comes out on the other end. Of course, I'm not usually satisfied with the "polished" results, so often ideas get thrown back into the tumbler for round 2, 3, 4, 5, and so on. Really, every rock finds its way back into the tumbler at some point or another...most of them more than once.

This tumbler of this mind of mine never shuts off, so I find myself constantly "reflecting." Now is the time when many are reflecting on happenings from the past year and setting resolutions for the new. Did I think about these things earlier? Sure. But putting words to my thoughts can't happen when I decide I want words to come. Usually, the words come whenever I feel they are there. Does that resonate with anyone?

That said, I'm finally ready (as if February 9th is SO far behind...come on!) to think back about some of the happenings of 2010. As far as new year's resolutions go, I have to admit I'm a bit of a skeptic. Are there things I want to improve? Always. So why wait until a new year to start? I make resolutions all the stinkin' time. Apparently there is something about having to buy a new calendar that motivates people to change.

Anyway, here are some highlights of 2010:

1. Finished my first year of graduate school (successfully, I might add!). When I started, I knew from the start that I would be looking at a minimum of four years to complete this sucker that is a master's degree. Working full time, taking classes, being a wife, volunteering here and there, and spending time investing in relationships with friends and family all takes some serious time management and not a lot of room for error. I definitely had moments, but overall I think the academic year was a complete success.

2. Ran my first marathon. Yep, I ran the long 26.2 miles from Two Harbors to Canal Park in Duluth, MN. Grandma's Marathon was definitely a highlight for me. I love to run and have always wanted to do a marathon, so I signed up with a friend in the spring of 2010 and began my training. What an amazing experience it was. Maria and I became really close as we spent hours together on our loooooong weekend runs, and I really had a sense of accomplishment crossing that finish line. A couple days before 2010 ended, I signed up for a second marathon. I hope that 2011 will bring a time faster than my last (3:57) at the Minneapolis Marathon in June.

3. Welcomed 2 new nephews and a niece into the world. Need I say more? These little people are such blessings to us. We now have 5 nephews and niece, and we love each of them in amounts that cannot be explained. If our siblings keep having children, we'll be so full of knowledge about kids when we cross that bridge ourselves that our own are bound to be perfect. Just saying...

4. Became nomads. We are three years into our marriage, and we are still figuring out where we fit in the world of the larger church. Over the summer we decided to look for something new, and we've been attending a new church now, but we haven't owned it yet. I don't know that either of us is ready to say that it is where we belong yet, but we're feeling it out as we go. I'm thankful for friends who have journeyed with us as we've asked questions and wondered around what it means to be the people of God.

5. Let others in. One of the most insightful realizations I have had about myself over the past year is how little I let others know me. I am one of those who easily gets to know others but rarely lets others see me for me. I have been more intentional about letting others know me this last year. Sometimes that means exposing some raw and ugly places. Sometimes that simply means telling someone something about me. I have had to ask why I hold back and what prevents me from trusting others with who I am. Exposing who I am has happened in all kinds of ways, and my soul is thankful. I hope this is the start of a new way of doing relationship.

6. Cook/Baker woman in training. The first step in recovering from an addiction is admitting there is a problem. So here is my confession...I have become addicted to recipes. I want to try making anything and everything that has me salivating at its very sight. Why? Well, why not? Our kitchen is tiny, but it has become my laboratory for many a recipe. I've found that cooking and baking are therapeutic. Seriously. Websites, blogs, recipe books and magazines have served as my inspiration, and my husband as my guinea pig. Bless his heart. He says he doesn't mind.

7. Camping. We packed up our four-door sedan and drove north to Two Harbors, MN (for the second time that summer...see #2). We pitched a tent on the shore of Lake Superior and spent four days basking in nothingness. It was our first camping trip alone as a couple, and I must say, it was fantastic. We made big meals over a real campfire, played cards, disconnected ourselves from anything that needs to be plugged in (minus a few very necessary Twins updates), and just enjoyed spending time together. Oh, and one of the best parts? We positioned our tent so we could literally zip the door open and look straight out at the lake. Beautiful? Ooooooh yeah

2010 was a good year. There are a million other things I could write about, but to avoid the whole "million" thing, I'll keep it to seven. Here's to 2011 and the host of highlights it is sure to bring.

No comments: