Thursday, September 3, 2009

Untitled.

I've been contemplating the many facets of loving all people as I've immersed myself in Curtiss DeYoung's "Reconciliation." For those looking to be challenged, this is a must-read. I'm amazed by DeYoung's depictions of the ways our society still embraces prejudices toward various people groups. Women, racial minorities, economically challenged, or intellectually under-priveleged, we all must be confronted with the harsh realities of the "isms" we deny but know too well.

Are we ignorant? In denial? Unwilling to admit our personal positions? We say we value the worth and dignity of all people, but do we demonstrate as much?

I'm feeling convicted of the dissonance between what flows from my mouth and the way I live. At the core of my being I find worth in all who surround me, but these claims have little value if they remain thoughts inside my head or words that I speak out loud. We must actively seek to bring down the walls that cause one nation to hate another, one religion to hate another, one color to hate another, one orientation to hate another, one person to hate another. Christ was radical in that He spoke against such division, yet we continue to build walls with our actions and words.

Lord, let us first be reconciled to you through your son Jesus Christ, and then let us be reconciled with one another. Let us live the words we speak in such a way that all encountered persons will not only feel valued, but are valued in the greatest possible way. Let us authentically love our neighbors, whomever they may be. Amen.

No comments: