What do we do with this mess?
I have numerous friends, family members, co-workers, and acquaintances whose theological, political, and social positions and values are different than mine. It's important that I (and we) find ways to be in meaningful relationship with one another - not despite our differences, but instead learning to appreciate them. Engaging difference is no small task, but it's important work that cannot be ignored.
Today I'm feeling discouraged by the ways some people in my life are responding to how I am different. It's easier for me to deal with the differences in others. Knowing how to respond when someone attacks the differences in me is considerably more challenging.
Difference pushes us to grow. It pushes us to reconcile. It pushes us to hang on to ourselves when our immediate instinct is to crumble. Today I am working on staying grounded and remaining differentiated as I sort through the emotions of feeling attacked. As I think about the concept of difference more broadly, I will remember that my perspective is unique. Like I cannot truly understand the world view of another, I must remember that nobody sees the world exactly as I do. This is both humbling and encouraging.
There is grace to be offered both as we seek to love those who are different than us, and as we ourselves are criticized for being different. Let our engaging in difference be grace- and love-filled.
No comments:
Post a Comment